Thursday, September 4, 2008

Update on Segundo

Well, our baby has another 13 1/2 weeks to get bigger before making his grand entrance into the world, but we do have some news. Today little Segundo (named by my co-worker, meaning "Second" in Italian) got a clean bill of health from Dr. Weller, fetal cardiologist who simply said, "He is perfect." Thank you very much, we knew he would be.

You may recall from Eleanor's womb-time that diabetics have an increased risk of having babies with birth defects, including heart malformations. Today was Segundo's heart ultrasound and he looks great. He also kicked the ultrasound tech three times while she was pushing down on my belly to see him, which made Geoff and I laugh.

So, some of you blog readers may not yet know that it was confirmed 4 weeks ago that this baby is, indeed, a boy. So, our baby Nora will have loads of fun beating up on her baby brother until he grows bigger than her. With only 17 months between them, it should be a fun household for a while.

And, as second pregnancies go, we have written so much less detail about this one because we've been through it before. But, here is some detail from this time around: I am on insulin to help regulate my Type II diabetes (5 injections per day). I test my blood sugar regularly (4 times per day). My OB called me a pin cushion, lovingly of course. I have gained 3 pounds since the start of my pregnancy. Segundo was measuring 15 ounces 4 weeks ago; they did not tell us how big he was measuring today. Geoff and I have named the baby, but we prefer to announce his name with his birthday email (should be around December 15th).

However, if you would like to try and guess his name, feel completely free to post any guesses here (I love games).

We have pictures, so we'll post them when we get a chance! Until then, know Segundo is healthy and we can really enjoy the pregnancy now. Hugs, Wendy

4 comments:

Meg Weber Jeske said...

I don't have any name guesses but I am really happy to hear that Segundo is doing well and I can't believe it is only 13 more weeks until you meet him in the outside world!

Love from Portland!

Beth said...

The weeks will fly. So glad to hear all is well, and to hear the pride, joy and optimism you're exuding! Can't wait to meet little Segundo.

Anonymous said...

Dear little grandson,
This is gramma and I knew you'd be perfect just like your big sister Eleanor. You see, I always knew you'd be joining the family I also knew that you would come into this world without complacations. Sometimes gramma's have the inside track. So little Segundo keep growing and getting stronger I will see you in about 98 days.
Sending love to all ~ Gramma

Unknown said...

My guess: Geoffrey Geronimo Grove, aka G-Cube

But seriously, great to hear that all are happy and healthy.

Love,
Drunkle Whit