Sunday, February 3, 2013

Belated Birthday Boy

I didn't want Jackson's birthday to get too far in the past for my annual mama musings post. He turned FOUR on December 15, 2012 and is the neatest kid. Energetic, loving, and smarter than a preschooler should be. His laugh is infectious; his questions are thoughtful; and his hugs are strong. He doesn't mind that I call him "baby," even as he reminds me he is growing fast. He runs at sonic peed (speed). He runs all the time; often with a cape and mask on. He still needs a nap, but refuses to take one; likes help with the tooth brushing and balks at baths. Jackson, at four, you eat these foods: pancakes, cereal, chocolate covered granola bars, chicken nuggets with ketchup, spaghetti (which he says "Pa-getty), and peanut butter (by the spoonful, just like his Dad). I can get you to do almost anything for a doughnut; and in the car, you talk non-stop. It wears me out, but I know you will get sullen and non-talkative in a few years, so I am trying to enjoy the moments now.

Masked Crusaders!

We made capes!

The mayhem!
At four, I simply adore being your Mom. Boo Boo Bear, you are an awesome kid, best son a Mama could ever have. I love singing "Soft Kitty" to you; love snuggling your small (but growing so big!) body; and love the way you repeat something that makes me laugh just to hear me laugh again. Kid, as you grow, I just want you to know that feel lucky to be your Mom. I worry so much about you; but am determined not to be a helicopter parent who is afraid to let you live. We really had fun at your Superhero Birthday Party! More importantly, I have fun with you everyday. Thanks for asking me to play with you; I don't mind being the villain, as long as you continue being the good guy.  

1 comment:

Meg Weber Jeske said...

This made me cry. Such sweet musings on your not so little anymore little one.