Thursday, March 15, 2007

(More) Dumb Doctors

So, yesterday, we received good news! The test that screens for neural tube defects (Spina Bifida, Downs Syndrome) came back normal. This means that most likely, the baby does not show signs of these types of defects. This is a load off my mind because of the higher risks associated with diabetic women...blah, blah, blah.

Then today, I was called by our OB/GYN's nurse, who said that there was actually an error in our test because the technician did not take into account that I am insulin dependent. So, I guess that means the test was inconclusive. Her advice was "not to sweat it" and just wait until the ultrasound on March 31 where we will be able to hear (with more certainty?) to what extent our child may have one of these horrendous birth defects.

Honestly, I am starting to doubt the sanity of allowing myself to continue this care. Am I overly emotional? Yes. But, it should be said that doctors are dumb sometimes. I guess only time will tell if they are as dumb as I think they are today or slightly less. *sigh*

---Wendy

No comments: