Monday, April 2, 2007

Wonderful News

We have had some wonderful news! On Saturday March 31, we saw our baby on ultrasound and were told that his/her heart, brain, and spine look normal. He/She now weighs an estimated 1 pound, 10 ounces (69th percentile for age) and looks beautiful on screen. The tests that were inconclusive before have now been ruled out as much as they can prenatally. Our ultrasound nurse said that the heart looks "beautiful" and that look ruled out 90% of possible defects. Our echocardiogram on Thursday will look even closer (with a fetal cardiologist doing the looking) and tell us about the remaining 10% of possible issues. When I said to the Doctor, "Thursday is our big day" (the echocardiogram to see any defects in the heart), he said "Well, I think your big day is going to be a quiet one." That is GREAT! The baby had a heartbeat of 149 on Saturday and 146 today, so he/she is going strong.

In other news from the OB/GYN today, the baby's Mama has not gained any weight from last month, but the baby has gained a whole pound. This is amazing given how I have been compelled to eat lately. Also, in even better news, my A1C (the blood test for Type II diabetes) was just measured at 5.3! This is significant given it was 12 when I was diagnosed in March 2006 and down to 6 (normal) in June 2006, but measures the level of diabetic control. This score of 5.3 means that I am well in control of the diabetes, despite haywire blood sugar levels as of late. So, I exhaled a big sigh of relief this morning!

So, baby looks good and Mama is good too. Believe it or not, we are in our 24th week as of Wednesday (2 days from now) and starting May 14th, we actually will see the OB/GYN every two weeks! I am beyond excited now and want to thank you all for your unwavering support and listening to me vent about doctors and self-injections. For those of you who have known me a long time, you know that I need to share the fears and uncertainties to get through the stress of it all. I am floating on Cloud 9 and feel very good. Nausea still comes on elevators (and presumably, airplanes), but other than that, it's pretty uneventful. I feel the baby a lot in these waves or flutters, which is unbelievably fun. Love to you all, Wendy

2 comments:

beth said...

What excellent news--on both fronts! Can't wait to hear more tomorrow.

Meg Weber Jeske said...

Hooray for good news for everyone! That is an amazing A1c result for being pregnant, that's excellent. Sending love to all...Meg